Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Guest Post Over At Moebius Noodles!

















I'm beyond thrilled and honored to have been asked to contribute a guest post at the Moebius Noodles blog.  If you've not heard of Moebius Noodles, here's their wonderful description:

Moebius Noodles is an off-the-beaten-path travel guide to the Math Universe for adventurous families. A snowflake is an invitation to explore symmetry. Cookies offer combinatorics and calculus games. Floor tiles form tessellations. The games in “Moebius Noodles” draw on these rich properties of everyday objects in ways accessible to parents and kids, even babies. As the world turns into a mathematical playground, it transforms, one family at a time.

Moebius Noodles is the brainchild of Maria Droujkova of Natural Math, both of whom/which have been instrumental to my growing understanding of mathematics and what math really is all about. Although I am quite comfortable with the math topics that connect to the math and dance we do in my program Math in Your Feet, I knew that there was a way of thinking and seeing math that I did not fully understand.

Over the last year or so following Maria's accounts of math clubs, math treks and, especially, the Moebius Noodles project I have found my way to math.  And, I am not ashamed to admit that, as an adult who is remediating herself from years of math anxiety, I have learned more about real math from an approach created for small children than I ever did in high school!  My new confidence and understanding is largely due to how Moebius Noodles models math and math learning for parents and families -- one small observation, question, inquiry or game at a time.

Here's the link to my Moebius Noodles post!  And, while you're there, don't forget to follow or subscribe to their blog.

2 comments:

  1. Malke, thank you for your guest post! Your posts about your and your daughter's experiences discovering math are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Yelena, for asking me to contribute! I am always looking forward to the next Moebius Noodles blog post. :-) I hope more and more families discover what you have to offer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear your thoughts and comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...